The Joyful Classroom
Practical Ways to Engage and Challenge Students K-6
Light the spark of learning in your students!
Teachers know it instinctively, research bears it out: students learn more—and with more joy—when offered intriguing lessons that connect with their lives and interests while challenging them to stretch and grow.
In this book, you’ll find practical, use-it-now strategies for creating just such active, interactive, relevant, and exciting lessons. Specifically, you’ll learn about:
- Grouping: Partnering and grouping students for optimum learning
- Getting students up and moving: Using interactive learning structures such as Maître d’, Popcorn, and Swap Meets to support purposeful, active learning
- Things kids love to do: Incorporating acting, drawing, debating, and other favorite activities into daily lessons while still meeting rigorous learning goals
- Lesson openings, bodies, and closings: Using a three-part lesson structure that will help you plan lessons that heighten students’ engagement and deepen their learning.
- Choices: Infusing lessons with choices in what to learn or how to learn to increase students’ ownership of their learning
- Self-assessment: Incorporating student self-assessment tools to help children monitor and evaluate their own work and identify ways to improve their learning.
Try these strategies and watch your classroom become one where the light of learning burns brightly for every child!
Filled with lesson plans, exact directions for interactive learning structures, planning guides, and more!
Download and print planning guides (PDF format):
- Interactive Modeling Planning Guide
- Guided Discovery Planning Guide
- Role-Play Planning Guide
- Lesson Planning Guide
- Academic Choice Planning Guide
5+ copies: $21.60 eachCopyright ©2016 Center for Responsive Schools, Inc