Responsive Classroom is an evidence-based approach to teaching and discipline that focuses on engaging academics, positive community, effective management, and developmental awareness. Our professional development, books and resources help elementary and middle school educators to create safe, joyful, and engaging classrooms and school communities where students develop strong social and academic skills and every student can thrive.
Independent research has found that the Responsive Classroom approach is associated with higher academic achievement in math and reading, improved school climate, and higher-quality instruction. It has been described by the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) as one of the most “well-designed evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL) programs”.
The Responsive Classroom Approach
Part 1: Our Approach | Part 2: Responsive Schools
The Four Key Domains of Responsive Classroom
Learner-centered lessons that are participatory, appropriately challenging, fun, and relevant and promote curiosity, wonder, and interest.
A safe, predictable, joyful, and inclusive environment
where all students have a sense of belonging and significance.
A calm and orderly learning environment that
promotes autonomy, responsibility, and high engagement in learning.
Basing all decisions for teaching and discipine upon research and knowledge of students’ social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development.
An Array of Services and Resources
Choose from a broad variety of consulting services and professional development resources to meet your school’s needs, including:
- Multi-day and one-day workshops for K-8 teachers, specialists, administrators, and other school staff
- On-site, whole-school professional development and consultation for schools and districts
- Award-winning publications and free online resources
- A rigorous teacher certification process
Click here for a downloadable version of our current catalog of options and resources.
“A model of effective professional development and what it can achieve.”
— Sara Mosle, New York Times
Focus on Teacher Effectiveness
For nearly 40 years, Responsive Classroom has been empowering K-8 educators by giving them the skills they need to ensure a high-quality education that will help all students thrive in our highly connected, interdependent world.
Professional development in the Responsive Classroom approach strengthens educators’ ability to:
- Design lessons that are active and interactive
- Use effective teacher language to promote academic and social growth
- Encourage engagement by giving students meaningful choices
- Start each day in a way that sets a positive tone for learning
- Set high expectations and teach students how to meet them
- Establish routines that promote autonomy and independence
- Build a sense of community and shared purpose
- Teach students 21st century skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, collaboration, creativity, and innovation