Research Confirms the Benefits
Research has found that the Responsive Classroom approach is associated with higher academic achievement, improved teacher-student interactions, and higher quality instruction in mathematics.
Responsive Classroom Efficacy Study
From 2008 to 2011, researchers at the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education conducted a three-year randomized controlled study led by Dr. Sara Rimm-Kaufman. The Responsive Classroom Efficacy Study (RCES), funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences (IES), involved 24 elementary schools in a large district in a mid-Atlantic state. The schools were assigned randomly to intervention and comparison groups. The study followed 350 teachers and over 2,900 students from the spring of the students' second grade year to the spring of their fifth grade year.
Benefits of Using Responsive Classroom Practices
Researchers found that teachers' use of Responsive Classroom practices was associated with the following positive outcomes.
1. Improved Student Achievement
Teachers' use of Responsive Classroom practices predicts gains in student math and
reading achievement. In addition, researchers found the following:
- Academic Choice: Teachers' use of Responsive Classroom Academic Choice, specifically, was associated with reading and math achievement outcomes.
- Socio-economics: The associations between Responsive Classroom practices and achievement were equally strong for children eligible for free/reduced price lunch and those not eligible.
- Greater effect on low-achieving students: The association between teachers' use of Responsive Classroom practices and math achievement appears to be stronger for students who are initially low achieving than for others.
2. Improved Teacher-Student Interactions
Teachers' increased use of Responsive Classroom practices was related to classrooms that are more emotionally supportive and organized. Specifically:
- Morning Meeting: Teachers' use of Responsive Classroom Morning Meeting was related to improved emotional support for students and improved classroom organization.
- Academic Choice: Teachers' use of Academic Choice was also related to improved emotional support during math instruction.
3. Higher Quality Instruction in Mathematics
Teachers' use of Responsive Classroom practices was associated with more skillful standards-based mathematics instruction. For example, teachers demonstrated the following:
- Higher levels of mathematical discourse
- Better use of and translation among mathematical representations
- Lessons with greater cognitive depth
- Lessons with greater coherence and accuracy
Importance of Support for Teachers
According to researchers, teachers reported that a supportive setting is important to their implementation of Responsive Classroom practices. Specifically, teachers were more likely to use these practices when:
- Their principal showed buy-in to the Responsive Classroom approach.
- They received coaching while implementing new Responsive Classroom practices.
- Their school climate offers validation and social support for trying the Responsive Classroom approach and allowed them to adopt the approach at their own pace.
For more information about the RCES and SALS studies, related publications, and free, downloadable assessment tools, visit The University of Virginia's Social Development Lab website.
Read citations for conference presentations related to the Responsive Classroom Efficacy Study.
Download a two-page pdf of the Responsive Classroom Efficacy Study (RCES)
Download "The Responsive Classroom Approach Increases the Use of Standards-Based Mathematics Teaching Practices," a CASTL research brief summarizing findings published in The Elementary School Journal. (pdf)
Download "Influences on Implementation of the Responsive Classroom Approach," a CASTL research brief summarizing findings published in Prevention Science. (pdf)
Watch the webinar from the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education: Understanding New Research and Findings on the Responsive Classroom® Approach