- This event has passed.
Responsive Classroom Advanced Course for Elementary Educators (Woodbury, MN)
July 24 - 27 @ 8:00 am - 3:30 pm$729
With these advanced Responsive Classroom strategies you’ll discover ways to create a classroom environment that excites students about learning, challenges them to think creatively and critically, proactively promotes positive behavior, and decreases disruptions due to misbehavior. Two main topics will be addressed in this course:
Engaging Academics: Motivate and Excite Your Students
Students learn best from lessons that connect with their lives and interests. You’ll learn how to design appropriately challenging, active and interactive lessons that deepen student learning.
- Use open-ended questions to spark curiosity, understanding, and reflection
- Help students to make the most of classroom resources with guided discovery
- Promote autonomy by drawing on students’ strengths and interests
- Tap into students’ intrinsic motivation and differentiate instruction as they explore lessons with the three phases of academic choice—planning, working, and reflecting
- Integrate academics into your Morning Meeting
- Remove barriers to student engagement
- Teach students core communication skills—how to listen carefully, ask and respond to questions, craft an argument, and agree or disagree with others
Effective Management: Strategies for Challenging Behaviors
A positive, respectful approach to discipline can transform your classroom. Create a positive climate for learning and discover proactive approaches to misbehavior that will help to keep the focus on learning and get your students back on track when disruptions occur.
- Understand why students misbehave and how to set them up for success each day by ensuring their basic and social-emotional needs are met
- Set clear limits and expectations for students
- Build empathy for students who struggle
- Teach students how to navigate tricky social interactions
- Learn when and how to effectively use logical consequences and when to request outside the classroom supports
- Use problem solving conferences to address significant issues with individual students
- Organize your classroom to support student learning
“This workshop gives you strategies on how to address little problems, work on larger problems, and pushes you to be a more proactive teacher.” – Natalie Cannon, Teacher
“I would describe this workshop as essential to all teachers. The language and tools provided are invaluable in thinking about how to establish and support a warm, inviting, safe classroom community where student independence and ideas are valued and honored and risk taking and mistakes are celebrated.” – Marie Marseille, Teacher
Prerequisite: Responsive Classroom Course for Elementary Educators
Resources Include: The Responsive Classroom Advanced Course Resource Book
Registration (Day 1 only): 7:30 am – 8:00 am
Welcome: 8:00 am
Session begins: 8:30 am
Session ends: 3:30 pm
How to register:
- Pay by credit card: Enter ticket quantity below, complete attendee detail fields, then add to cart—billing details will be requested at checkout.
- Pay by check or purchase order: Download and print our registration form. Follow the instructions on the form and submit it via our online submission form, mail, or fax.