News & Press Releases
- "Bedford Schools See Fewer Disciplinary Problems Under New System." NewsAdvance.com, Alex Rohr, February 2014. "In the schools where [Responsive Classroom has] been fully implemented, positive results are taking place."
- "Creating Trouble-Free Transitions." BAM Radio, February 4, 2014. Responsive Classroom author and consultant Kristen Vincent is one of four experts offering "collective experience on how to make transitions more smooth and less stressful."
- "Bedford Principal Cuts Disciplinary Referrals 75% in Three Years." WDBJ7.com, David Kaplan, January 31, 2014. Responsive Classroom "has changed the culture for the better at Stewartsville Elementary School, and it's showing in academic performance too."
- "Why it's (long past) time for social and emotional learning." The Washington Post, Jonathan Raymond, December 14, 2013. A "response to a recent column by New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman on the average performance of U.S. 15 year olds in reading, math and science on the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment."
- "Deephaven Elementary Wins National Blue Ribbon Award." Teaching Today, BryanMcGinley, Winter 2013, vol. 1, pg. 13. National Blue Ribbon award-winner Deephaven Elementary in Minnetonka, MN credits Responsive Classroom as a core reason for their success.
- "Responsive Classroom instills confidence." YourGlenRoseTX.com, Tye Chandler, December 8, 2013. After receiving formal Responsive Classroom training in Austin at a week-long workshop in July 2013, intermediate teachers bring the RC approach to their school in Glen Rose, TX.
- "Roundtown Elementary student's buddy bench gets response from 32 states." The York Daily Record at ydr.com, Brandie Kessler, December 7, 2013. The positive school community at Roundtown Elementary in York, PA helped a 2nd grader's dream of a "Buddy Bench" come true and has inspired schools across the nation.
- "A second grader's cure for playground loneliness." Interview on the TODAY Show, December 7, 2013. "Christian Bucks felt bad for his lonely classmates on the playground, so he came up with the idea of a 'buddy bench.' It's a place where kids can feel welcome. TODAY’s Erica Hill interviews Bucks, his mother and his principal."
- "Power Struggles, Paychecks, and Positivity: My Career as a Classroom Manager." Education Week Teacher blog, Andrea Palmer, October 14, 2013. A 6th grade teacher moves from a one-size-fits-all approach to classroom management to the Responsive Classroom approach.
- "District 58 Spotlighted in National Report for Social-Emotional Learning Initiatives." DownersGrove.Patch.com, Erin Sauder, October 17, 2013. Downers Grove (IL) school district receives national attention for its use of Responsive Classroom.
- "Doing Science in Morning Meeting: 150 Quick Activities that Connect to Your Curriculum." MiddleWeb book review, Linda Biondi, September 23, 2013. "Whether you are a science expert, science aficionado, or new to teaching science, this book is a 'keeper.' Doing Science in Morning Meeting is a must-have resource for novice teachers, veteran teachers, elementary teachers, middle school teachers and science/STEM elementary coaches."
- "In Massachusetts, Education Innovation is in Full Force." Nea Today, Brenda Álvarez, September 13, 2013. The Responsive Classroom initiative at Winter Hill Innovation School in Somerville, MA was begun by one teacher.
- "Responsive Classroom to Support Immersion at Avenues." Open Avenues, Eric Ogden, September 13, 2013. After a week-long training of Responsive Classroom Level II, Avenues discussed how the Responsive Classroom approach could be used most effectively to support the language immersion classes at their school.
- "SEL Builds Academic Achievement." Edutopia, Vanessa Vega, April 4, 2013. "The foundation for a community-based learning atmosphere at Mount Desert begins in the earliest grades, where a Responsive Classroom approach is used in all K–3 classrooms."
Recent Press Releases
- New Book from Responsive Classroom, The Language of Learning, Provides Practical Strategies for Teaching Students Thinking, Listening, & Speaking Skills. PRESS RELEASE, March 4, 2014. A practical guide to helping K–6 students become fluent in the universal language required for high-quality learning.
- Responsive Classroom Course to be Offered to Educators in 26 Locations this Summer. PRESS RELEASE, February 3, 2014. The updated, 4-day course (which replaces Responsive Classroom I) is a practical, interactive, high-energy training that gives classroom and special area teachers everything needed to start using core Responsive Classroom teaching practices.
- Responsive Classroom Awarded $600,000 Grant by NoVo Foundation. PRESS RELEASE, January 28, 2014. The grant will enable the Northeast Foundation for Children to increase its capacity to provide ongoing Responsive Classroom professional development to educators in large U.S. school districts and to mobilize technology as a central solution for providing Responsive Classroom services and products across the nation.
- Responsive Classroom Publishes New Edition of The Power of Our Words. PRESS RELEASE, November 20, 2013. Very popular with educators since its publication in 2007, the book demonstrates how teachers can use words, tone, and pace to increase students' engagement with academics, build positive community, and more effectively manage classrooms.
- Educators in Six States Gain Direct Access to Responsive Classroom Professional Development and Resources. PRESS RELEASE, November 5, 2013. The full range of Responsive Classroom offerings is now available to any interested K–8 teacher, school, or district in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Oklahoma, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- Responsive Classroom Helps Teachers Meet Common Core Challenges. PRESS RELEASE, October 29, 2013. A recently released white paper by the Northeast Foundation for Children explains how the Responsive Classroom approach aligns with the Common Core, focusing on how Responsive Classroom teaching practices address four specific CCSS challenges.
- Responsive Classroom Presents Jennifer Buffett with Their Innovative Leadership in Education Award. PRESS RELEASE, September 10, 2013. At this year's Bammy Awards, a gala event celebrating what's right in public education, Jennifer Buffett, president of the NoVo Foundation, will be presented with the Responsive Classroom Award for Innovative Leadership in Education.
- Research Shows Responsive Classroom Approach Increases Use of Standards-Based Math Teaching Practices. PRESS RELEASE, August 14, 2013. Research results recently published by the Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning at the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education show that teachers trained in the Responsive Classroom approach use higher levels of standards-based mathematics teaching practices than non-Responsive Classroom teachers.
- Good Teaching Transforms the Future. PRESS RELEASE, June 26, 2013. Responsive Classroom provides the training teachers need to help children master both academics and social-emotional skills in a meaningful, integrated way, a recently released white paper by the Northeast Foundation for Children explains.
- Bullyproof Your Classroom Wins Award. PRESS RELEASE, June 11, 2013. This book by Responsive Classroom consultant Caltha Crowe has been honored with the Association of Educational Publishers' 2013 Distinguished Achievement Award for Professional Development.
- Doing Science in Morning Meeting. PRESS RELEASE, May 30, 2013. This book by Lara Webb and Margaret Berry Wilson helps elementary teachers to foster science learning with quick, engaging activities.
Press member? Visit our Media Inquiries page.