News & Press Releases
- "Study: Teaching Social Skills Raises Test Scores." DistrictAdministration.com, Alison DeNisco, April 2014. Key findings of the first comprehensive study of Responsive Classroom's impact on student achievement.
- "Teacher Word Choice Impacts Student Learning." MiddleWeb.com, Jennifer Jankowski, April 4, 2014. Book review of the new, 2nd edition of The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn, published by Responsive Classroom.
- "Schools Make Strides Toward Ending Teasing." App.com, Amanda Oglesby, March 20, 2014. Principal Kimberly Muir of Woodmere Elementary School talks about how their district's implementation of Responsive Classroom has resulted in reduced problematic behavior within 3 years.
- "A Leading SEL Program Gets Positive Results—But Only If It's Used." CASEL.org, Sara Rimm-Kaufman, March 19, 2014. Sara Rimm-Kaufman describes the origins of her 3-year study of the Responsive Classroom approach, its method, and its findings.
- "How Effective are Responsive Classroom Strategies?" TheEducatorsRoom.com, Lee-Ann Meredith, March 19, 2014. A 3-year study released in the March 2014 issue of American Educational Research Journal confirmed what this teacher already knew: Teachers who fully implement Responsive Classroom strategies see student gains regardless of socioeconomics.
- "Study Links Responsive Teaching to Academic Gains." EdWeek.org, Alyssa Morones, March 12, 2014. A study released today in the American Educational Research Journal links the Responsive Classroom approach to student achievement gains.
- "Emotional Support Boosts Academic Achievement." The Epoch Times, Marie Yeung, March 10, 2014. A recent, 3-year study led by Sara Rimm-Kaufman, professor at the University of Virginia’s Curry School of Education, indicates that students who have support on social and emotional levels are better academic achievers.
- "Letting Teachers Also Handle Social And Emotional Skills Can Lead To Academic Gains—Study." Science 2.0, March 9, 2014. A new paper in American Educational Research Journal details the study of the efficacy of the Responsive Classroom (RC) approach, which found that classroom programs designed to improve elementary school students' social and emotional skills increased reading and math achievement.
- Watch now: A short news story that shows how Responsive Classroom improved school climate and behavior at Stewartsville Elementary in Bedford County, VA, making it "a better place to work and learn." wsls10.com, March 2014.
- "Socialization Technique Helps in Academic Achievement, Trial Study Finds." The Washington Post, Lyndsey Layton, March 6, 2014. Responsive Classroom and the release of the RCES impact study.
- "Bedford Principal Cuts Disciplinary Referrals 75% in Three Years." WDBJ7.com, David Kaplan, January 31, 2014. Responsive Classroom "has changed the culture for the better at Stewartsville Elementary School, and it's showing in academic performance too."
- "Why it's (long past) time for social and emotional learning." The Washington Post, Jonathan Raymond, December 14, 2013. A "response to a recent column by New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman on the average performance of U.S. 15 year olds in reading, math and science on the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment."
Recent Press Releases
- Responsive Classroom Leadership Conference to Celebrate What Works in Schools. PRESS RELEASE, April 23, 2014. Details about our 9th annual national conference, which will be held October 27–28 at the JW Marriott in Chicago, IL. Register now for the early-bird discount.
- Responsive Classroom Publishes New Edition of The Morning Meeting Book: Classic Has Guided Hundreds of Thousands of Teachers. PRESS RELEASE, April 15, 2014. While keeping intact key aspects of this immensely popular book, the new edition reflects Northeast Foundation for Children's most current thinking about the best ways to implement Morning Meeting in K–8 classrooms.
- Social-Emotional Learning and the Common Core: Responsive Classroom Program Developer Mike Anderson Presents Teaching Strategies at ASCD Conference. PRESS RELEASE, March 14, 2014.
- New Research Paper Shows Use of Responsive Classroom Leads to Academic Gains. PRESS RELEASE, March 12, 2014. Sara Rimm-Kaufman, principal investigator of the $2.9 million study funded by the Institute of Education Sciences, says evidence that teaching social skills can translate into higher test scores is important information for educational decision-makers at a time of heightened interest in high-level academic learning.
- New Book from Responsive Classroom, The Language of Learning, Provides Practical Strategies for Teaching Students Thinking, Listening, & Speaking Skills. PRESS RELEASE, March 4, 2014. A practical guide to helping K–6 students become fluent in the universal language required for high-quality learning.
- Responsive Classroom Course to be Offered to Educators in 26 Locations this Summer. PRESS RELEASE, February 3, 2014. The updated, 4-day course (which replaces Responsive Classroom I) is a practical, interactive, high-energy training that gives classroom and special area teachers everything needed to start using core Responsive Classroom teaching practices.
- Responsive Classroom Awarded $600,000 Grant by NoVo Foundation. PRESS RELEASE, January 28, 2014. The grant will enable the Northeast Foundation for Children to increase its capacity to provide ongoing Responsive Classroom professional development to educators in large U.S. school districts and to mobilize technology as a central solution for providing Responsive Classroom services and products across the nation.
- Responsive Classroom Publishes New Edition of The Power of Our Words. PRESS RELEASE, November 20, 2013. Very popular with educators since its publication in 2007, the book demonstrates how teachers can use words, tone, and pace to increase students' engagement with academics, build positive community, and more effectively manage classrooms.
- Educators in Six States Gain Direct Access to Responsive Classroom Professional Development and Resources. PRESS RELEASE, November 5, 2013. The full range of Responsive Classroom offerings is now available to any interested K–8 teacher, school, or district in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Oklahoma, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- Responsive Classroom Helps Teachers Meet Common Core Challenges. PRESS RELEASE, October 29, 2013. A recently released white paper by the Northeast Foundation for Children explains how the Responsive Classroom approach aligns with the Common Core, focusing on how Responsive Classroom teaching practices address four specific CCSS challenges.
- Responsive Classroom Presents Jennifer Buffett with Their Innovative Leadership in Education Award. PRESS RELEASE, September 10, 2013. At this year's Bammy Awards, a gala event celebrating what's right in public education, Jennifer Buffett, president of the NoVo Foundation, will be presented with the Responsive Classroom Award for Innovative Leadership in Education.
- Research Shows Responsive Classroom Approach Increases Use of Standards-Based Math Teaching Practices. PRESS RELEASE, August 14, 2013. Research results recently published by the Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning at the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education show that teachers trained in the Responsive Classroom approach use higher levels of standards-based mathematics teaching practices than non-Responsive Classroom teachers.
Press member? Visit our Media Inquiries page.