Please contact Richard Henning, Director of Marketing, for review copies and/or interviews and information.
800-360-6332, ext. 111
Recent News & Reviews
- Social and emotional learning gaining new focus under Common Core. EdSource, May 15, 2013. "As California teachers begin to strategize about how to meet the Common Core standards, some educators say that explicit instruction in social and emotional competence should be a key part of the equation."
- How to Bullyproof Your Classroom by Caltha Crowe was selected as a finalist for the Association of Educational Publisher's 2013 Distinguished Achievement Award for Professional Development. Winners will be announced at their gala event on June 4th.
- The Education Issue: Believing self-control predicts success, schools teach coping. The Washington Post Magazine, April 11, 2013. "Responsive Classroom is one of the most widely embraced blueprints for teaching SEL at the elementary school level."
- Research: How SEL Classroom Management Techniques Build Academic Achievement. Edutopia, April 4, 2013. "The foundation for a community-based learning atmosphere at Mount Desert begins in the earliest grades, where a Responsive Classroom approach is used in all K–3 classrooms."
- Teaching Emotions: A Different Approach to Ending School Violence, March 19, 2013.
- Students at R.K. Finn inspire classmates to follow recess safety rules. Daily Hampshire Gazette, January 21, 2013. "If kids make the rules, they’ll follow them," noted third-grader K.S.
- Lower School Teachers Flock to Responsive Classroom. Brooklyn Friends School, New York, January 2013.
- Meeker principal, teacher tout value of Responsive Classroom, Ames (Iowa) Tribune, December 18, 2012.
- A tribute to Sandy Hook Principal Dawn Hochsprung, December 15, 2012.
- Daniels Run Elementary Uses Responsive Classroom Methods to Teach and Provide Sense of Community. Fairfax City Patch (Virginia), November 15, 2012. "By establishing a sense of calm and safety, setting high expectations for behavior and giving the students the feeling they are important and valued, I am able to do much more academically."
- Like a Game of Poker, School Programs' Success Can Hinge on Principals Going "All In." University of Pittsburgh News, November 15, 2012. "The study points to the critical role that school leaders and coaches play in predicting the implementation of the Responsive Classroom approach. The work calls attention to the importance of school leadership in producing school change."
- An Interview with Paul Tough: The Hidden Power of OUR Character. The Ignite Show, November 7, 2012. Responsive Classroom "offers ways for us to behave with our children—either through school wide implementation of a full-out program or as tips for simple ways to behave as teachers and parents."
- Teaching Lessons. New York Times, Opinion Pages, October 27, 2012. "When faithfully implemented, the approach correlated with a substantial rise—a roughly 20-point gain on average—on state standardized test scores in reading and math."
- Research Links 'Responsive' Teaching to Academic Gains, EdWeek, September 13, 2012. "It's extremely clear that the Responsive Classroom training is an effective, well-run training. It's producing changes in teachers' behavior in a very dramatic way."
About Responsive Classroom
The Responsive Classroom approach to teaching is based on the premise that children learn best when they have both academic and social-emotional skills. Responsive Classroom practices help teachers and schools build children’s academic and social-emotional competencies and can be used along with many other programs.
Our services include Responsive Classroom courses for teachers and on-site consulting for schools and districts. We also publish award-winning books, DVDs, and other products, including resources for school-based study groups.
The About Responsive Classroom area of this website includes videos, fact sheets, answers to frequently asked questions, and information about Northeast Foundation for Children, the not-for-profit developer of the Responsive Classroom approach.
Independent research associates the Responsive Classroom approach with higher academic achievement, fewer behavior problems, and more high quality instruction.
Where to Find Us
Professional conferences where we will be exhibiting
- New Video Study Kit from Responsive Classroom Focuses on Effective Teacher Language (April 24, 2013)
- Responsive Classroom Leadership Conference to Focus on Improving Teacher Effectiveness (April 9, 2013)
- Responsive Classroom to Sponsor 2013 Bammy Awards (April 2, 2013)
- Academic Engagement in the Elementary Classroom (March 15, 2013)
- Teasing, Tattling, Defiance and More: New Book from Responsive Classroom Helps Teachers Handle Common Behavior Challenges (March 6, 2013)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Choose Professional Development Partner: Responsive Classroom (January 29, 2013)
- Responsive Classroom Awarded $250,000 Grant by NoVo Foundation (January 8, 2013)
- Free Responsive Classroom Resource Aligns 150 K-5 Math Activities with Common Core Standards & Practices (November 28, 2012)
- New Research Shows Responsive Classroom Implementation Influenced Most by Principal Buy-In, Individualized Coaching (November 13, 2012)
- Responsive Classroom Selected as One of Nation’s Most Effective Ways to Teach Social, Emotional, and Academic Skills (September 25, 2012)
- Improved Student Achievement in Math and Reading Among New Findings from Responsive Classroom Efficacy Study (August 28, 2012)
- Closing Circles Bring School Days to a Peaceful Finish (August 15, 2012)
- New Executive Director Named for Responsive Classroom (April 19, 2012)